We spent a delightful and long over due evening at Big Sis's house last weekend - doing our best to catch up while five littles ran hog wild. After a divine meal, we gobbled up this Upside Down Bananas Foster Cake that I've had clipped for over a year! It was worth the wait, if I do say so myself.
Upside Down Bananas Foster Cake
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons rum (I was out so I used Southern Comfort and it was delish!)
2 ripe bananas (I had to use three to cover my pan.)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose baking mix (I used heart smart Bisquick.)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring once.
2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 9-inch round cake pan (with sides that are at least 2 inches high) over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar and rum.
3. Cut bananas diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices; arrange in concentric circles over brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle pecans over bananas.
4. Beat granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add milk and next 2 ingredients; beat just until blended. Beat in baking mix and cinnamon until blended. (Batter will be slightly lumpy.) Pour batter over mixture in skillet. Place skillet on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan.
5. Bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge to loosen. Invert onto a serving plate, spooning any topping in skillet over cake.
Source: Southern Living November 2011
Oh, and one more thing while I have y'all... I've added the new Linky Following tool to my sidebar. Rumors are running rampant that Google Friend Connect is going away and I think I'm going to move forward with Linky Following after reading all about it at the At the Picket Fence blog. So, if you're also making the move, be sure to follow me through the new link on my sidebar.
We've got a jam packed, fun filled Saturday ahead and then Man Day on Sunday. Should be a fab weekend around the horn!
Flattered for the feature at Blissful and Domestic!