This edition of Sunday Supper is an homage to Gladys Knight’s Chicken & Waffles – Atlanta’s Southern soul food institution. Our Southern Living version featured buttermilk waffles topped with fried chicken tenders drizzled with a peach horseradish syrup. And it was absolutely positively divine. I mean…the whole family gobbled it up like they didn’t know where they were gonna find their next meal.
Chicken & Waffles with Peach Horseradish Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
Peach Horseradish Syrup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup peach preserves
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl; stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
2. Cook batter in a preheated, oiled mini-style waffle iron 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until golden (about 1/2 Tbsp. batter per waffle).
3. Stir together maple syrup, peach preserves, horseradish, pepper, and salt in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until warm.
4. Top waffles with chicken, and drizzle with Peach-Horseradish Maple Syrup.
Note: Keep waffles warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes before assembling. I halved the recipe and it served my hungry family of four.
Go get you some…Gladys Knight style.