“From his Ole Miss days, Foods Editor Scott Jones fondly remembers the BBQ Sundae served at the Rebel Barn BBQ in Oxford. An entrée, not dessert, the sundae layers pork, slaw, and baked beans, all covered in thick, sweet red sauce.”
…and boy am I glad I did. It would be darling and practical for feeding a crowd as well. (It’s not often that I can put “darling” and “practical” in the same sentence...just ask Honey.)
Here’s how to pull it off – this will serve 12 in the small size mason jars:
- 2 cans baked beans
- 1 recipe of my easy slaw
- 1 recipe of my hands down never had better crock pot BBQ
- jar of bread and butter pickles
- Layer beans, slaw, bbq and then top with a pickle garnish.
- Swoon from Southern goodness
My Easy Slaw
- Whisk together everything for sauce.
- Mix into shredded coleslaw and chill until ready to serve.
My Hands Down Never Had Better Crock Pot BBQ
- 4 lb. eye of round roast if you’re feeling spendy; 4 lb. piece of pork if you’re not
- 1 tsp salt
- large can tomato sauce
- 12 oz. bottle chili sauce
- 1 chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- buns (if you’re not serving in a jar, of course)
- Place roast in crock pot. Sprinkle with salt and add water to cover. Cook on 6 hours.
- In the last hour, stir together tomato sauce and next 10 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Shred meat and mix with sauce.
Both recipes from Southern Living back in the day. I apologize for not having dates/issues but I’ve had these cut out in my recipe book for ages.
Happy eatin’ y’all!
Excited for the features on Huffington Post, Tip Junkie and Artsy Girl!