Chocolate Hazelnut Banana Bread (slightly edited from the original to exclude the nuts)
- 5 tablespoons Nutella
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- Baking spray with flour (such as Baker's Joy)
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2. Combine chocolate-hazelnut spread and 1 teaspoon oil in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir. Combine 3 tablespoons oil, butter, brown sugar, and banana in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until combined. Scrape half of batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray, and top with chocolate-hazelnut spread mixture. Spread remaining batter over chocolate mixture. Using a wooden pick, swirl batter.
4. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread; cool on wire rack.
5. Place bittersweet chocolate in a microwave-safe dish; microwave at high for 30 seconds. Drizzle bread with chocolate; let stand until set.
Y’all this stuff is sinful. SINFUL, I tell you! And the fact that it came out of a “light” magazine and has fruit in it pretty much makes it healthy, right? :-) I could seriously lounge out here on the porch all fat and happy for the rest of the day, alas we have a Tech game, a baseball game, and a concert to attend. Fall is flat out our craziest time of the year.