From sun up to sun down, we spent our day celebrating Whit in a dozen different ways! That he made it here in spite of an arduous and worrisome pregnancy is a true miracle, and ended up foreshadowing the persistent, self-sufficient and incredibly loving child that’s sweetly slumbering down the hall four years later. He’s quick witted, smart as a whip, crazy athletic, and incredibly independent. I can’t help but laugh when he laughs and his smile literally lights up the room. “Nuggling” him in bed each morning is invariably some of the most precious moments of my day, and I can hardly bear to think of a time when he outgrows this ritual. This is the child that eats anything and everything – having three breakfasts each morning is standard and sampling things like sardines at Costco or sushi at dinner is not unexpected. He is tender hearted, he is fearless, he’s quick to laugh and he’s always ready to help. I prayed for this child like I’ve never prayed for anything in my life. And I love him today with all of my life.
Here’s a round-up of the baby’s birthday top 12 for 12.12.12!
1. Waking up to birthday balloons at the foot of his bed
2. The requisite W Family pancake birthday breakfast
3. A brand new work bench laden with all sorts of power tools
4. Lunch at “Chick el a”, a milkshake treat and a super sweet employee that delivered a balloon and goodie bag to the table (only at Chick fil A!)
5. Taking a long afternoon nap on the sofa with Mommy (of which I don’t have a picture but can assure you was also the highlight of my day)
6. An impromptu Cha Cha Slide dance party with cousin Bird, brother, Mommy and Mimi too
7. Birthday kid’s choice for supper – Japanese hibachi, of course
8. Blowing out the special #4 candle he picked for himself while we all sang happy birthday
9. Dazzling us with a chopstick concert (in a nearly empty restaurant with just one other party well across the room)
10. Adding a notch on the growth chart (the baby’s 4 year mark is exactly where the PCP’s 4.5 year mark was!)
11. The annual reading of Dr. Seuss’s Happy Birthday To You book
12. And falling asleep in Mommy and Daddy’s bed
Happy birthday, baby!